Nov. 26 update - SORRY ALL. WEATHER IS RAIN. NO ONE WANTS TO HUG A WET MASCOT. WE ARE LOOKING AT CHANGING THE EVENT TO A SMALLER INDOOR EVENT. PLEASE STAND BY.
Nov. 27 update - PUSHING OUT TO A RANDOM DATE. WE WILL CHANGE THE DATE WHEN WE RECONFIRM MASCOT COSTUME AVAILABILITY AND LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE OF AR EVENTS IN TORONTO
Wearing a mascot outfit of a pig, offer hugs to the public while an advocate then asks 'Are you willing to watch a 30 second video of what the Canadian Pork Industry says is the most humane means of slaughter?'
We will probably only need a few advocates with tablets and headsets so will be confirming folks on a first-come first serve basis.
We are reproducing this action from Australia - https://www.facebook.com/AnimalsAustraliaUnleashed/videos/10153068545866876/?fref=nf
The video they used is https://vimeo.com/145112213
Toronto Pig Save is helping us create a Canadian version.
Here are the questions we will ask each person willing to be filmed:
1) Do you eat pork, bacon or ham?
2) Would it reassure you to hear that most Canadian ham comes from pigs killed by what the pork industry calls the "most humane" method?
3) Would you be willing to see what that looks like for the next 30 seconds?
4) Is there anything you’d like to say to the pork industry right now? (OR "What's your first impression?")
5) How might this change what you buy next time you go grocery shopping?
We may also be adding a chicken and potentially a cow. We will have different videos for each animal team.