Up Your Alley is an annual street fair in San Francisco, California, which is usually held on the last Sunday in July. The event is organized by the same group that puts on the Folsom Street Fair, Folsom Street Events, a non-profit organization that supports local lgbtq+Q+ and other charitable organizations.
Up Your Alley, also known as the "Dore Alley Fair," is a smaller and more intimate version of the Folsom Street Fair, catering primarily to the leather and kink communities. It is located in the South of Market (SoMa) neighborhood, with the main event taking place on Dore Alley between Howard and Folsom Streets.
The fair attracts a diverse crowd of attendees, including people from the lgbtq+Q+ community and their allies, as well as those interested in the alternative and kink lifestyles. It provides an opportunity for people to express their individuality and engage in consensual kink and fetish activities in a safe and supportive environment.
Up Your Alley features various attractions such as live music and DJ performances, vendor booths selling fetish gear, clothing, and accessories, as well as food and drink stands. You'll also find educational workshops and demonstrations, covering topics like bondage, spanking, and other forms of BDSM.
Throughout the day, there are numerous stage performances, featuring everything from burlesque shows to drag performances. The event also includes a charity driven silent auction, with proceeds benefiting local lgbtq+Q+ and related organizations.
It's important to note that Up Your Alley is an adult-oriented event, and public nudity and adult-themed activities are common. Therefore, it is not recommended for children or those who may be uncomfortable with explicit material.
As with any public event, it's always a good idea to check the official website and social media channels for the most up-to-date information on dates, times, and any potential changes to the event's schedule.
Stay updated with events in San Francisco, CA
Upcoming Mega Events Nearby
Recommendations and tips for a gay traveler attending Up Your Alley, San Francisco's annual leather and fetish street fair:
Here is a list of gay-friendly hotels in San Francisco:
- Dress appropriately: Up Your Alley is a leather and fetish event, so it's important to dress accordingly. Leather, rubber, harnesses, and other fetish gear are all appropriate. If you're not sure what to wear, check out some photos of previous events to get an idea.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Up Your Alley is held outdoors on a city street, so you'll be doing a lot of walking. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in all day.
- Stay hydrated: San Francisco can get hot in the summer, so make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. You can bring your own water bottle, or there are water stations located throughout the fair.
- Be respectful: Up Your Alley is a sex-positive event, but it's important to be respectful of others. Ask for consent before touching or engaging in any kind of sexual activity, and be mindful of people's boundaries.
- Bring cash: While some vendors may accept credit cards, it's always a good idea to bring cash to Up Your Alley. Many vendors sell unique, one-of-a-kind items that you won't find anywhere else.
- Check out the entertainment: Up Your Alley features live music and performances throughout the day. Make sure to check out the schedule and catch some of the entertainment.
- Explore the neighborhood: Up Your Alley takes place in the South of Market (SoMa) neighborhood of San Francisco. Take some time to explore the area and check out some of the local bars and restaurants.
- Stay safe: While San Francisco is generally a safe city, it's always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye on your belongings, and if you're traveling alone, consider sticking with a group of friends or finding a buddy to go with.
- Carriage Inn: Located in the vibrant SoMa district, this gay-friendly hotel offers modern accommodations with a retro twist. It features a heated outdoor pool, a sauna, and a fitness center. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Parker House: This men-only guesthouse provides a relaxing and comfortable environment for gay travelers. It offers well-appointed rooms, a communal courtyard, and easy access to the city's attractions. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- The Willows Inn: Situated in the Castro district, this gay-friendly inn offers individually decorated rooms and a complimentary breakfast. It features a charming garden and a cozy lounge area. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- The Parsonage: This men-only guesthouse is located in the Mission district. It offers comfortable rooms with unique decor, a communal kitchen, and a rooftop deck with city views. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Axiom Hotel: This stylish hotel is located in the Union Square neighborhood. It welcomes guests of all orientations and offers contemporary rooms, a fitness center, and an on-site restaurant. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- The W San Francisco: Located in the vibrant SoMa district, this gay-friendly hotel offers contemporary luxury. It features stylish rooms, a rooftop bar, and a state-of-the-art fitness center. Check Availability and Prices: Link