The Canberra SpringOUT Queer Festival is an annual event held in Canberra, Australia, that celebrates the lgbtq+QIA+ community. It typically takes place in November and consists of a variety of events, including parades, concerts, art exhibitions, film screenings, and more. The festival is open to people of all ages and backgrounds, and its goal is to promote inclusivity, diversity, and acceptance.
The festival was first held in 1999 and has since grown to become one of the largest and most vibrant queer festivals in Australia. It is organized by a dedicated team of volunteers who work tirelessly to ensure that the festival is a success. The festival's program is diverse and inclusive, featuring a range of events that cater to different interests and preferences.
One of the highlights of the Canberra SpringOUT Queer Festival is the Pride Parade, which is held on the last weekend of the festival. The parade is a colorful and lively procesion of floats, performers, and marchers, and it draws large crowds of spectators from all over the city. Other popular events at the festival include the Queer Screen Film Festival, the Rainbow Families Day, and the SpringOUT Fair Day.
The festival is not just about entertainment, however. It also serves as a platform for advocacy and awareness-raising around lgbtq+QIA+ issues. The festival often features panel discussions, workshops, and other educational events that aim to promote understanding and dialogue around issues affecting the lgbtq+QIA+ community.
Canberra SpringOUT Pride Festival is the official pride festival of Canberra and the Australian Capital Territory. It has been a project of Canberra Pride since 1999 with events cordinated by the local community.
In 2015 Canberra SpringOUT Association was incorporated to ensure due diligence and governance to produce and deliver the Canberra SpringOUT Pride Festival which is held in November each year.
Stay updated with events in Brisbane
Here are eight recommendations to help you make the most of your time in Canberra:
- Plan your trip ahead of time: The Canberra SpringOUT Queer Festival is held annually in November, so make sure you plan your trip well in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
- Book accommodation in advance: With thousands of people attending the festival each year, it's important to book your accommodation well in advance to avoid disappointment. Look for options near the festival venue to make things more convanient.
- Explore the city: While you're in Canberra, take some time to explore the city. Some popular tourist attractions include the Australian War Memorial, the National Gallery of Australia, and Lake Burley Griffin.
- Check out the festival events: The Canberra SpringOUT Queer Festival features a range of events, from art exhibitions to film screenings, parades, and parties. Check out the festival program and plan your itinerary accordingly.
- Meet locals: Canberra has a vibrant lgbtq+Q+ community, and the festival is a great opportunity to meet locals and make new friends. Strike up conversations with people you meet at the festival or attend events where you can connect with others.
- Try local food: Canberra has a thriving food scene, and there are plenty of great restaurants, cafes, and bars to check out. Make sure you try some local delicacies while you're there, such as the famous Canberra truffles or a classic Aussie meat pie.
- Take care of yourself: With so much happening during the festival, it's important to take care of yourself. Stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, and take breaks when you need to. Pace yourself so you can enjoy the entire festival without burning out.
- Have fun: Most importantly, have fun! The Canberra SpringOUT Queer Festival is a celebration of diversity and inclusivity, so let loose, be yourself, and enjoy everything the festival has to offer.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful