North Dakota may not have a large lgbtq+Q+ scene compared to more populous states, but there are still a few gay events and hotspots worth exploring. Fargo, the largest city in North Dakota, tends to have more lgbtq+Q+-friendly establishments and events compared to other parts of the state. Let's dive into some of the highlights:
- Pride of the Prairie: Pride of the Prairie is an annual lgbtq+Q+ pride festival held in Fargo. It features a parade, live performances, vendors, and community activities. This event celebrates diversity and aims to create a welcoming environment for lgbtq+Q+ individuals and allies.
- The Empire Tavern (424 N Broadway, Fargo): The Empire Tavern is a popular lgbtq+Q+-friendly bar in Fargo. It offers a welcoming atmosphere, friendly staff, and occasional drag shows. It's a great place to socialize and meet like-minded individuals in the community.
- The Sanctuary Events Center (670 4th Ave N, Fargo): The Sanctuary Events Center is a versatile venue that hosts various events, including lgbtq+Q+-themed parties, drag shows, and live performances. Keep an eye on their event calendar for upcoming lgbtq+Q+ events.
- Other lgbtq+Q+-friendly venues: While not exclusively gay venues, some bars and clubs in Fargo, such as Dempsey's Public House (226 Broadway N) and Sidestreet Grille & Pub (404 4th Ave N), are known for being welcoming to the lgbtq+Q+ community.
There are a number of key lgbtq+Q+ events, organizations, and hotspots in North Dakota that you might find interesting.
One of the significant annual gatherings is the ND lgbtq+QIA2S+ Summit, which takes place in Bismarck, ND. This year, the summit will take place from October 20-22, 2023, and the opening social event will occur on October 20th from 7 to 9pm at the Radisson Bismarck.
The Pride Center at the University of North Dakota (UND) in Grand Forks is a central hub for the lgbtq+Q+ community on campus. They offer a range of educational and training opportunities, as well as a resource guide to support transgender, non-binary, or otherwise gender-diverse individuals. The Pride Center also issues a quarterly newsletter to keep the community updated about events, activities, and academic-related reminders.
North Dakota State University (NDSU) in Fargo hosts a variety of lgbtq+Q+ events throughout the year. Some of the events include the Quad College lgbtq+Q+ Alliance Back-to-School Bash in September, lgbtq+Q+ History Month in October, Trans Day of Remembrance in November, World AIDS Day in December, Trans Day of Visibility in March, Rainbow Prom, National Day of Silence in April, and Lavender Graduation. Dates for some of these events vary, so it's recommended to check their official website for the most updated information.
While the state of North Dakota has made some strides in terms of lgbtq+Q+ rights, there are still challenges to overcome. North Dakota, like many states, doesn't have comprehensive equal rights legislation at the federal level, leading to an inconsistent patchwork of legal protections. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) works alongside lawmakers at local and state levels to fight for lgbtq+Q+ equality. The HRC has criticized North Dakota for some of its decisions, such as signing a discriminatory bathroom bill into law and a gender-affirming care ban.
Popular gay hotspots in North Dakota.
Here are gay-friendly hotels in North Dakota :
- Fargo-Moorhead lgbtq+ Community: The Fargo-Moorhead area has a vibrant lgbtq+ community with various social and support groups. Organizations like The Center and Pride Collective & Community Center provide resources, events, and a safe space for the community.
- Bismarck-Mandan lgbtq+ Social Scene: Bismarck-Mandan, the state capital, has a growing lgbtq+ social scene. The community organizes events, parties, and gatherings, allowing people to connect and celebrate diversity.
- Grand Forks Pride: Grand Forks hosts an annual Pride festival, bringing together the lgbtq+ community and allies for a day of celebration, solidarity, and advocacy. The event features entertainment, music, food, and a parade.
- lgbtq+Q+ Nightlife in Minot: Minot offers a couple of lgbtq+Q+-friendly venues where you can enjoy a vibrant nightlife. These establishments often host themed nights, drag shows, and other events.
- Williston lgbtq+ Support Groups: Williston has support groups and organizations that provide a sense of community and resources for lgbtq+ individuals and allies. These groups aim to create a safe and inclusive environment.
- Dickinson Pride Alliance: The Dickinson Pride Alliance is a local organization focused on promoting equality and acceptance for the lgbtq+ community. They organize events, support groups, and educational programs.
- lgbtq+Q+ Outdoor Activities in Devils Lake: Devils Lake offers outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and fishing, providing an opportunity for the lgbtq+ community to connect with nature and enjoy the scenic beauty of North Dakota.
- Wahpeton lgbtq+ Youth Group: Wahpeton has an lgbtq+ youth group that provides support, education, and social opportunities for young people. It serves as a safe space for lgbtq+ youth to express themselves and find community.
- Best Western Plus Kelly Inn & Suites, Fargo: This hotel receives excellent reviews for its clean rooms, variety of breakfast options, and a unique pool theme. The staff here goes out of their way to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Check Availability and Prices here.
- The Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Fargo: With an excellent location, this hotel is easy to get to from the main highway. Guests have praised the fabulous inner courtyard and the attached restaurant that offers plenty of room and good food. Baymont by Wyndham, Grand Forks: Located near downtown Grand Forks, this hotel is praised for its clean and quiet atmosphere. It offers convenient breakfast and has laundry on site. The staff is also noted to be helpful.
- Jasper Hotel, Fargo: An elegant hotel in a perfect spot for visiting Fargo. This beautiful hotel fulfills all your expectations, although the parking situation can be a bit tricky, but they send you an email ahead of time to explain.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham, Fargo-Medical Center: This hotel is known for its great service and comfortable rooms. It is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a comfortable and welcoming stay.
- Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, Minot: With comfortable and clean rooms, great service, and breakfast every morning, this hotel promises a pleasant stay. Guests have highly rated their experience at this hotel.
MUST DO North Dakota Attractions & Activities
There are endless landscapes and stunning sceneries to discover in North Dakota, with its rugged badlands, national parks, and historic sites. Enjoy the scenic views of the Missouri River from the campgrounds of Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park. Shop for gifts and souvenirs and take a tour at the Fort Union Trading Post. Go biking, hiking, or horseback riding at the Maah Daah Hey Trail. Explore Medora and enjoy the outdoor theater musical.