Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (lgbtq+) persons in the U.S. state of Colorado enjoy the same rights as non-lgbtq+ people. Same-sex sexual activity has been legal in Colorado since 1972. Same-sex marriage has been recognized since October 2014, and the state enacted civil unions in 2013, which provide some of the rights and benefits of marriage. State law also prohibits discrimination on account of sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing and public accommodations and the use of conversion therapy on minors. In July 2020, Colorado became the 11th US state to abolish the gay panic defense.
Colorado is frequently referred to as one of the most lgbtq+-friendly states in the Mountain West. The lgbtq+ think tank Movement Advancement Project ranks Colorado second in the region for lgbtq+ rights legislation, behind Nevada. 2019 polling from the Public Religion Research Institute showed that 77% of Colorado residents supported anti-discrimination legislation protecting lgbtq+ people.
Stay updated with gay events in Colorado |
Here are some popular gay events in Colorado:
Here are some gay hotspots in Colorado:
- Denver PrideFest: Denver PrideFest is the largest lgbtq+Q+ celebration in Colorado, typically held in June. It features a parade through downtown Denver, live entertainment, vendor booths, food, and a variety of activities promoting equality and inclusion. The festival attracts thousands of participants and offers a safe and festive environment for everyone to celebrate.
- Aspen Gay Ski Week: Aspen Gay Ski Week is an annual event that takes place in January in the picturesque town of Aspen. It is one of the largest gay ski events in the world, attracting skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts from the lgbtq+Q+ community and their allies. The week-long event includes on-mountain activities, après-ski parties, film screenings, comedy shows, and more.
- PrideFest Colorado Springs: PrideFest Colorado Springs is a vibrant celebration of the lgbtq+Q+ community held in July. The event features a parade, live music, performances, vendor booths, and a family area with activities for all ages. It aims to foster unity, visibility, and equality for the lgbtq+Q+ population in the Colorado Springs area.
- Out Boulder Pride: Out Boulder Pride is an annual lgbtq+Q+ pride event held in Boulder, usually in September. It includes a festive parade, live entertainment, local food vendors, community organizations, and a beer garden. The event brings together people of all identities to celebrate diversity, inclusivity, and equality.
- Colorado Queer Beer Festival: The Colorado Queer Beer Festival is a unique event that celebrates the intersection of the lgbtq+Q+ community and craft beer culture. This festival features local breweries, cideries, and distilleries that create a diverse and inclusive space for beer enthusiasts to enjoy tastings, live music, food trucks, and educational sessions. The date and location of the festival may vary each year, so it's best to check the official website for updates.
- Tracks Denver: Located in Denver, Tracks is a premier nightclub and entertainment venue for the lgbtq+Q+ community. It offers multiple dance floors with different music genres, drag shows, themed events, and a lively atmosphere. The club hosts various renowned DJs and performers, ensuring an exciting night out.
- X Bar: Situated in Denver's Capitol Hill neighborhood, X Bar is a popular gay bar known for its friendly atmosphere and welcoming staff. It features a spacious patio, pool tables, karaoke nights, and regular events such as trivia nights and drag shows. X Bar also serves a wide selection of drinks and offers a diverse crowd.
- Pride and Swagger: This gay bar and nightclub is located in the Uptown neighborhood of Denver. Pride and Swagger offers a chic and modern setting with a dance floor, lounge areas, and an outdoor patio. The venue hosts theme nights, live music, and drag performances, making it a great spot to socialize and dance.
- The Underground: Situated in Colorado Springs, The Underground is a prominent gay nightclub known for its energetic atmosphere. It features different music styles on various nights, including EDM, hip-hop, and Latin beats. The club has a spacious dance floor, VIP sections, and often hosts popular DJs and themed parties.
- Charlie's Denver: Charlie's is a popular country-themed gay bar located in Denver's Capitol Hill neighborhood. It offers a unique blend of country music, line dancing, and drag shows. The bar has multiple levels, a spacious dance floor, and a friendly ambiance, attracting both locals and visitors.
- The Center on Colfax: While not a traditional gay hotspot, The Center on Colfax is an important lgbtq+Q+ community center in Denver. It serves as a hub for various lgbtq+Q+ organizations, support groups, educational programs, and events. The Center also hosts the annual Denver PrideFest, one of the largest Pride celebrations in the Rocky Mountain region.
Here is a list of gay-friendly hotels in Colorado:
- The Crawford Hotel - Gay-Friendly Hotel Located in Denver Union Station, The Crawford Hotel blends historic charm with contemporary design. The hotel offers unique rooms and easy access to downtown attractions. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Hotel Teatro - Gay-Friendly Hotel Located in the heart of downtown Denver, Hotel Teatro offers a boutique experience with elegant rooms and a welcoming atmosphere. The hotel is close to popular attractions and cultural venues. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Hotel Boulderado - Gay-Friendly Hotel Situated in downtown Boulder, Hotel Boulderado is a historic hotel known for its grand architecture and charming ambiance. The hotel offers comfortable rooms and easy access to local attractions. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- The Sebastian - Vail - Gay Friendly: Located in Vail Village, The Sebastian offers luxurious accommodations and exceptional amenities. Pamper yourself at the spa, enjoy fine dining options, and indulge in the ski-in/ski-out access during winter. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com link