Here are some gay events in Maryland:
- Baltimore Pride: Baltimore Pride is one of the biggest lgbtq+Q+ events in Maryland. It usually takes place in June and includes a variety of activities such as a parade, live performances, dance parties, and community outreach programs. The festival attracts both locals and visitors from all over the country, promoting inclusivity and celebrating the lgbtq+Q+ community.
- Capital Pride: Although not specifically in Maryland, Capital Pride is an important event that takes place in Washington, D.C., which is close to the Maryland border. Many residents of Maryland participate in this event, which spans over several days and includes a parade, street festival, concerts, and other cultural events. It is a vibrant celebration of diversity and lgbtq+Q+ rights.
- Rehoboth Beach lgbtq+Q+ Film Festival: Rehoboth Beach, located in Delaware near the Maryland border, hosts an annual lgbtq+Q+ Film Festival. This event showcases a curated selection of lgbtq+Q+ films from around the world, providing a platform for queer storytelling and fostering a sense of community among attendees. It attracts film enthusiasts, activists, and individuals interested in lgbtq+Q+ culture.
- Charm City Night Market: The Charm City Night Market is an inclusive and diverse event held in Baltimore. While not exclusively a gay event, it embraces and celebrates the lgbtq+Q+ community. The market features food stalls, art installations, live performances, and cultural exhibitions, showcasing the vibrant heritage of Baltimore's Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
- lgbtq+Q+ Happy Hours and Social Gatherings: Throughout Maryland, various lgbtq+Q+ organizations and establishments host regular happy hours and social gatherings. These events provide a relaxed and friendly environment for lgbtq+Q+ individuals and allies to connect, socialize, and build community. They often take place at bars, clubs, or community centers and offer opportunities for networking and making new friends.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (lgbtq+) persons in the U.S. state of Maryland enjoy the same rights as non-lgbtq+ people. Maryland has had statewide protections against discrimination based on an individual's sexual orientation since 2001 and gender identity since 2014. Legislation to legalize same-sex marriage in Maryland was approved by voters on November 6, 2012 and went into effect on January 1, 2013. Today, the state of Maryland is regarded as one of the most lgbtq+-friendly states in the country, with a 2017 Public Religion Research Institute showing that two-thirds of Marylanders supported same-sex marriage.Additionally, a ban on conversion therapy on minors became effective on October 1, 2018. In October 2020, Montgomery County within Maryland passed unanimously an ordinance that implemented a lgbtq+IQ+ bill of rights.
Maryland is known for its vibrant lgbtq+Q+ community and offers a variety of gay hotspots throughout the state.
Here are 12 verified hotspots that cater to the lgbtq+Q+ community, each with its own unique atmosphere and offerings:
Here is a list of gay-friendly hotels in Maryland:
- Baltimore Eagle: Located in Baltimore, the Baltimore Eagle is a popular gay bar that offers a diverse range of events and entertainment, including drag shows, dance parties, and themed nights. The venue provides a welcoming environment for all, featuring a spacious dance floor and a patio area.
- Grand Central: Also situated in Baltimore, Grand Central is a multi-level nightclub known for its energetic atmosphere and lively dance floor. This hotspot features regular drag performances, DJs spinning a variety of music genres, and a friendly crowd that enjoys dancing until the early hours of the morning.
- The Drinkery: Located in Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood, The Drinkery is a cozy and relaxed gay bar. It offers a laid-back atmosphere, friendly bartenders, and a wide selection of craft beers and cocktails. The venue is known for its welcoming environment and serves as a great spot for casual conversations.
- Club Hippo: Once a legendary Baltimore gay club, Club Hippo sadly closed its doors in 2015. However, its memory still lives on as an important part of Maryland's lgbtq+Q+ history.
- The Lodge Bar: Situated in Boonsboro, The Lodge Bar is a rural gay bar that provides a unique experience away from the city. It offers a welcoming environment with regular karaoke nights, pool tables, and friendly staff. The Lodge Bar is known for its inclusive atmosphere that attracts both locals and visitors.
- The Baltimore Eagle Nightclub and Bar: Not to be confused with the aforementioned Baltimore Eagle, this establishment is located in Mount Vernon. The Baltimore Eagle Nightclub and Bar is a popular spot for the leather and fetish community, offering a variety of themed events, such as fetish nights and leather contests.
- Leon's of Baltimore: Another notable gay bar in Baltimore, Leon's offers a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. It features a jukebox, pool tables, and a patio area for socializing. Leon's is a neighborhood institution that has been serving the lgbtq+Q+ community for many years.
- Club Orpheus: Situated in Baltimore, Club Orpheus is a gothic-themed nightclub that hosts alternative and industrial dance parties. This hotspot offers a unique atmosphere and attracts a diverse crowd, including members of the lgbtq+Q+ community.
- The Rowan Tree: Located in Annapolis, The Rowan Tree is a gay-friendly bar that welcomes all patrons. This cozy establishment offers a wide selection of craft beers, signature cocktails, and pub-style food. The Rowan Tree often hosts trivia nights and live music performances.
- The DC Eagle: While technically situated in Washington, D.C., The DC Eagle is worth mentioning as it attracts many Maryland residents. This popular gay bar and nightclub offers a range of events, including bear-themed parties, drag shows, and dance nights.
- 1722: Positioned in Baltimore, 1722 is a gay bar that provides a cozy and intimate setting for patrons. This hotspot features a full bar, comfortable seating, and a friendly atmosphere. It's an excellent place to relax, chat with friends, and enjoy a few drinks.
- MIXers Bar: Located in Hagerstown, MIXers Bar is a lively gay bar known for its welcoming atmosphere and diverse crowd. This hotspot offers a range of events, including karaoke nights, drag shows, and dance parties. The friendly staff and energetic atmosphere make MIXers Bar a popular destination for lgbtq+Q+ locals and visitors
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor (Gay-Friendly) Situated near the Inner Harbor, Kimpton Hotel Monaco embraces diversity and inclusivity, making it a popular choice for lgbtq+Q+ travelers. Enjoy their luxurious rooms and excellent amenities. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Hotel Brexton (Gay-Friendly) Situated in Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood, Hotel Brexton combines historic charm with modern comforts. lgbtq+Q+ guests will find a welcoming environment in this gay-friendly hotel. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club (Gay-Friendly) Overlooking the Chesapeake Bay, this charming inn provides a relaxing retreat for lgbtq+Q+ travelers. Enjoy the scenic views, luxurious accommodations, and friendly staff. Check Availability and Prices: Link