The establishment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (lgbtq+) rights in the U.S. state of Connecticut is a recent phenomenon, with most advances in lgbtq+ rights taking place in the late 20th century and early 21st century. Connecticut was the second U.S. state to enact two major pieces of pro-lgbtq+ legislation; the repeal of the sodomy law in 1971 and the legalization of same-sex marriage in 2008. State law bans unfair discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing and public accommodations, and both conversion therapy and the gay panic defense are outlawed in the state.
Here are some details about Connecticut Gay Events:
- Connecticut Pride Festival: The Connecticut Pride Festival is a major annual event that celebrates the lgbtq+Q+ community in the state. It typically takes place in June, coinciding with Pride Month. The festival features a colorful parade, live entertainment, music performances, drag shows, food vendors, community booths, and family-friendly activities. It serves as a platform for advocacy, inclusivity, and celebration of diversity.
- New Haven Pride: New Haven, a city known for its cultural diversity, hosts its own Pride event. The New Haven Pride Festival showcases the city's lgbtq+Q+ community and its allies. The festival includes a parade through downtown New Haven, followed by a day-long celebration featuring live music, dance performances, art exhibitions, guest speakers, and a wide range of vendors offering food, beverages, and lgbtq+Q+-themed merchandise.
- Out Film CT: Out Film CT is a nonprofit organization that hosts the Connecticut lgbtq+Q+ Film Festival. This annual event showcases a diverse selection of films focusing on lgbtq+Q+ themes and issues. The festival takes place over several days and features both feature-length and short films from around the world. It provides an opportunity to explore and appreciate queer cinema in a supportive and inclusive environment.
- lgbtq+ Youth Prom: Connecticut also hosts a variety of lgbtq+Q+ youth-focused events, such as the lgbtq+ Youth Prom. This prom offers a safe and inclusive space for lgbtq+Q+ youth to celebrate their identities, connect with peers, and have a memorable prom experience. The event typically includes music, dancing, photo booths, and other traditional prom activities, with a focus on creating an affirming and welcoming environment.
Connecticut is regarded as one of the most lgbtq+-friendly U.S. states, on account of its early adoption of lgbtq+ rights legislation. A 2017 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute showed that 73% of Connecticut residents supported same-sex marriage.
Stay updated with gay events in Connecticut |
Here are popular gay hotspots in Connecticut:
Here's a list of gay-friendly hotels in Connecticut:
- Partners Café (New Haven): Partners Café is a long-standing gay bar and nightclub located in New Haven. It offers a lively atmosphere with drag shows, dancing, and a spacious outdoor patio. The bar is known for its friendly staff and welcoming environment.
- Tisane Euro-Asian Café (Hartford): Tisane is a trendy café and bar in Hartford that attracts a diverse lgbtq+Q+ crowd. The venue features an extensive menu of specialty teas, delicious food, and an inviting lounge area. It often hosts live music events and drag performances.
- Chez Est (Hartford): Chez Est is a popular gay bar in Hartford, known for its friendly atmosphere and welcoming staff. It offers a relaxed environment with karaoke nights, theme parties, and regular drag shows. The bar also has a spacious outdoor patio for socializing.
- 168 York Street Café (New Haven): Located in New Haven, 168 York Street Café is a gay-friendly establishment that combines a restaurant, bar, and live music venue. It serves a diverse menu of American and international cuisines and hosts regular live music performances.
- Trevi Lounge (Fairfield): Trevi Lounge is a vibrant gay bar and nightclub located in Fairfield. It boasts a chic and modern interior, featuring a large dance floor, energetic DJs, and live entertainment. The venue hosts theme nights, special events, and drag shows.
- Polo Club (Hartford): The Polo Club is a well-known gay bar and nightclub in Hartford, attracting a lively and diverse crowd. It offers multiple bars, a spacious dance floor, and regular drag performances. The venue is known for its vibrant theme parties and friendly ambiance.
- Leon's Restaurant and Lounge (New Haven): Leon's is a popular gay-friendly restaurant and lounge in New Haven. It serves a delectable fusion of American, Italian, and Mediterranean cuisines, and offers a cozy and intimate atmosphere for diners. The venue often hosts live music and comedy shows.
- Triangles Café (Danbury): Triangles Café is a gay bar and nightclub located in Danbury. It provides a lively and energetic environment with multiple bars, a dance floor, and pool tables. The venue hosts theme parties, karaoke nights, and drag shows.
- The Polo Lounge (Bridgeport): The Polo Lounge is a longstanding gay bar in Bridgeport that has been serving the lgbtq+Q+ community for many years. It offers a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, complete with a dance floor, pool tables, and a jukebox. The venue often hosts karaoke and drag performances.
- Five Nightclub (Stamford): Five Nightclub is a popular gay-friendly nightclub located in Stamford. It boasts a modern and upscale ambiance, complete with a large dance floor, state-of-the-art lighting, and renowned DJs. The club hosts regular theme parties and special events.
- Delamar Greenwich Harbor (Gay-Friendly) Located in Greenwich, this luxurious waterfront hotel offers stunning views of the harbor. It features elegant rooms, a spa, and an on-site restaurant. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com Link
- The Study at Yale (Gay-Friendly) Situated in New Haven, this boutique hotel is conveniently located near Yale University. The rooms are stylishly designed, and the hotel boasts a library lounge and a farm-to-table restaurant. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com Link
- The Griswold Inn (Gay-Friendly) Located in Essex, this historic inn dates back to 1776. It offers charming rooms with antique furnishings, a cozy tavern, and live entertainment. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com Link
- The Goodwin (Gay-Friendly) Located in Hartford, this boutique hotel combines modern design with historic charm. The rooms are stylishly appointed, and the hotel features a rooftop lounge and an on-site restaurant. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com Link
- Mohegan Sun (Gay-Friendly) Experience excitement and entertainment at Mohegan Sun, a vibrant resort and casino in Uncasville. Apart from gaming options, it offers a variety of dining choices, live shows, and a relaxing spa. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com link
- Delamar Southport (Gay-Friendly) This sophisticated hotel in Southport offers elegant accommodations and upscale amenities. Indulge in spa treatments, enjoy fine dining, and explore the quaint village and scenic coastline. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com link
- Inn at Middletown (Gay-Friendly) Situated in the heart of downtown Middletown, this historic inn offers comfortable rooms, a cozy tavern, and easy access to Wesleyan University, local shops, and restaurants. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com link
- Ethan Allen Hotel (Gay-Friendly) Located in Danbury, the Ethan Allen Hotel offers comfortable accommodations with a touch of sophistication. Enjoy modern amenities, on-site dining, and convenient access to shopping and entertainment. Check Availability and Prices: Booking.com link