New Hampshire is known for its vibrant lgbtq+Q+ community and hosts a number of Pride events throughout the year, particularly in the month of June, to celebrate diversity, inclusion, and acceptance. Here are a few key events:
- Windham Pride Festival: This family-friendly event is free and offers activities for all ages. It will be held on Sunday, June 11, from 12pm–5pm at Windham High School.
- Lebanon Opera House Pride Celebration: The evening celebration starts with an all-ages Pride Picnic and continues with dancing under the stars at the Silent Disco. It will take place on Friday, June 16, from 6pm-8:30pm/9pm-11pm at Colburn Park, Downtown Lebanon.
- Manchester Pride Festival 2023: The state’s largest city is celebrating its 5th annual Pride Festival with activities including Queerlective’s Queer Art Extravaganza, youth activities, and community vendors. The festival is scheduled for Saturday, June 17, starting at 1pm in Veterans Park, Manchester.
- Nashua Pride Festival: This free event is a celebration of diversity, acceptance, music and fun. It starts with a parade at 2pm and also includes a drag show, DJ, and dance event for those under 21 from 7pm – 10 pm. It's planned for Saturday, June 24, from 2pm – 6pm at Main Street/Elm Street School.
- Portsmouth Pride Parade: Marking its 10th year, the parade starts at Market Square and ends at Strawbery Banke with music, vendors, and crafters. The event will take place on Saturday, June 24, from 12pm-5pm.
- White Mountains Pride Festival: This festival includes kids activities, entertainment, vendors, and music. The event is set for Saturday, June 24, from 10am-4pm at Community Center Park, North Conway1.
New Hampshire is regarded as one of the most lgbtq+-friendly states in the country, with recent polls finding that an overwhelming majority of New Hampshire residents support same-sex marriage and lgbtq+ rights.
Here are some details about 12 gay hotspots in New Hampshire:
Here is a list of gay-friendly hotels in New Hampshire:
- Doogie's Bar and Grill (Manchester): Located in Manchester, Doogie's Bar and Grill is a popular gay hotspot known for its friendly atmosphere and lively events. It offers a full bar, delicious food, and regular entertainment, including karaoke nights and drag shows.
- Club 313 (Portsmouth): Club 313 is a vibrant lgbtq+Q+ nightclub situated in Portsmouth. This energetic venue features a spacious dance floor, talented DJs, and themed parties throughout the week. It's a great place to let loose and enjoy a night of dancing and celebration.
- The Alley (Nashua): The Alley, nestled in the heart of Nashua, is a well-established gay-friendly bar and lounge. With a cozy and welcoming ambiance, it's a perfect spot to socialize, enjoy a drink, and play some pool or darts. The Alley often hosts live music performances and trivia nights.
- Hula Hanks (Hampton): Located in Hampton, Hula Hanks is a popular beachfront gay bar that offers stunning ocean views. This vibrant venue has a tropical-themed atmosphere, complete with tiki huts and palm trees. Visitors can sip on exotic cocktails, enjoy live entertainment, and soak up the lively beach atmosphere.
- Element Lounge (Dover): Element Lounge, situated in Dover, is a trendy gay-friendly nightclub with a sleek and modern design. It features state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems, creating an immersive party experience. The club hosts various themed nights, including drag shows, dance parties, and live performances.
- The Wild Rover Pub (Manchester): The Wild Rover Pub, located in Manchester, is a welcoming Irish pub that embraces diversity and inclusivity. While not exclusively gay, it's known for its friendly and inclusive atmosphere, making it a popular spot among the lgbtq+Q+ community. Enjoy a pint of Guinness and catch live sports or live music performances.
- Kilkenny Pub (Milford): Situated in Milford, Kilkenny Pub is a cozy and welcoming gay-friendly pub that combines traditional Irish hospitality with a modern twist. With a wide selection of beers, friendly staff, and a relaxed atmosphere, it's an excellent place to unwind and socialize with friends.
- Area 23 (Concord): Area 23, located in Concord, is a unique gay-friendly bar and music venue. It showcases local and regional artists and hosts regular live music events, open mic nights, and comedy shows. Visitors can enjoy a variety of craft beers and specialty cocktails while appreciating the vibrant arts scene.
- The XO Club (Manchester): The XO Club, situated in Manchester, is a well-known gay-friendly nightclub that offers a diverse range of entertainment options. From drag shows to themed parties and DJ nights, there's always something happening at this lively venue. The club features multiple dance floors, lounges, and a vibrant atmosphere.
- The Breezeway Pub (Manchester): The Breezeway Pub, located in Manchester, is a laid-back gay-friendly pub that caters to a diverse crowd. It offers a comfortable and relaxed environment, making it an ideal place for conversation and connection. Visitors can enjoy a selection of beers, play pool, or watch their favorite sports events.
- The Pearl Nightclub (Derry): The Pearl Nightclub, situated in Derry, is a popular gay-friendly venue known for its energetic nightlife scene. With its stylish decor, impressive sound system, and talented DJs, it attracts a lively crowd of partygoers. The club hosts themed nights, including drag shows, dance parties, and special events.
- True Brew Barista (Concord): While not a traditional gay hotspot, True Brew Barista in Concord is a coffee shop that prides itself on creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all. It serves a variety of coffee and tea specialties, as well as delicious pastries. It's a great spot to relax, catch up with friends, or work on your laptop.
Our recommendResidence Inn by Marriott North Conway
- Rainbow Retreat (Men Only): Situated in the scenic White Mountains, Rainbow Retreat provides a serene and inclusive environment for gay men. This rustic lodge offers cozy cabins, a communal hot tub, and access to hiking trails. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Lavender Lodge (Gay-friendly): Situated in the vibrant city of Concord, Lavender Lodge is a charming hotel that warmly welcomes lgbtq+Q+ guests. The cozy rooms, complimentary breakfast, and convenient location make it an excellent choice for exploring the area. Check Availability and Prices: Link
- Gay Friendly The Residence Inn by Marriott North Conway is a gay-friendly hotel located on the edge of White Mountain National Forest. The hotel offers studios and suites with full kitchens and 49-inch flat-screen TVs, and skiing at Cranmore Mountain Resort is just 3 miles away. Each room includes a flat-screen cable TV and free Wi-Fi, and the kitchen area features a refrigerator, stove top, microwave, dishwasher, and coffee machine. The hotel has a heated indoor pool, hot tub, and well-equipped fitness center, and a continental breakfast is served every morning. The hotel is within close proximity to shopping, dining, adventure parks, and offers four season fun for all ages. Rooms are very modern and clean, and the hotel staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel's amenities also include a fire pit, a workout room, a living area in each room, and free parking. Prices start at $166/night for a One-Bedroom King Suite, and the Deluxe Room is $170/room per night with breakfast included. The rooms are approximately 40 square meters in size. For more information, you can Check Availability and Prices
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (lgbtq+) persons in the U.S. state of New Hampshire enjoy all the same legal rights as non-lgbtq+ residents, with most advances occurring within the past two decades. Same-sex sexual activity is legal in New Hampshire, and the state began offering same-sex couples the option of forming a civil union on January 1, 2008. Civil unions offered most of the same protections as marriages with respect to state law, but not the federal benefits of marriage. Same-sex marriage in New Hampshire has been legally allowed since January 1, 2010, and one year later New Hampshire's civil unions expired, with all such unions converted to marriages. New Hampshire law has also protected against discrimination based on sexual orientation since 1998 and gender identity since 2018. Additionally, a conversion therapy ban on minors became effective in the state in January 2019.