The largest urban area between Denver and Minneapolis, Sioux Falls is a mixed bag. This city is part bustling metropolis and part sleepy Great Plains town, with lots of outdoor activities and shopping malls.
Sioux Falls, SD is a vibrant city in South Dakota that hosts various gay events throughout the year. These events provide opportunities for the lgbtq+Q+ community and its allies to come together, celebrate diversity, and create a sense of belonging.
- Pride Festivals: Pride festivals are typically the highlight of the lgbtq+Q+ calendar in many cities, including Sioux Falls. These festivals often feature live music, performances, drag shows, food vendors, art exhibitions, and various community booths. They provide an inclusive and festive atmosphere for people to express themselves and support lgbtq+Q+ rights.
- Parades and Marches: Pride parades and marches are colorful and lively events that bring together community members, allies, organizations, and businesses to showcase their support for lgbtq+Q+ rights. Participants often march through the city streets, waving flags, carrying banners, and wearing vibrant costumes.
- Drag Shows: Drag shows are a popular form of entertainment in the lgbtq+Q+ community. Sioux Falls may have drag shows at local bars, clubs, or special events where talented performers showcase their skills in lip-syncing, dancing, and theatrical performances. These shows are known for their fabulous costumes, dazzling makeup, and energetic performances.
- lgbtq+Q+ Film Festivals: Film festivals focused on lgbtq+Q+ themes provide an opportunity for movie enthusiasts to enjoy a diverse range of cinematic works. These festivals may feature screenings of feature films, documentaries, shorts, and discussions with filmmakers or industry professionals.
Visitors will find all sorts of surprises here. For instance, gay Democratic politico Steve Hildebrand calls Sioux Falls home, as does couture designer Hugo Sarmiento. But many of Sioux Falls' gay population are a bit shy about their lives, and those that are out have to contend with South Dakota's discriminatory laws.
Still Sioux Falls is a friendly, rather open-minded community, with many nearby universities. The arrival of Citibank and other major white collar employers has created demand for more culture and diversity. There is a move afoot to create more support for local arts, and seen in the creation of a new arts council. Gays, as usual, are leading the way.
Stay updated with gay events in Sioux Falls, SD |
Here are some details about the gay bars and hotspots in Sioux Falls, SD:
Here is a list of gay-friendly hotels in Sioux Falls, SD
- Lucky's: Located at 224 S Phillips Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, Lucky's provides an inclusive and entertaining environment downtown that will give you an 80s vibe. Whether you come to cheer on your favorite sports team, listen to great music, or play games like pool or darts, Lucky's is a space for anyone to come and have a great time with their friends.
- Tommy Jacks: This bar is located at 214 E 12th St, Sioux Falls SD 57104. It is open from 11AM to 2AM every day.
- Wildrose: Wildrose is a place for women and all are welcome. It is women-owned and operated since 1984. They require proof of full vaccination for all guests.
- The Blazing Saddle: Known as the Gay “Cheers” since it opened in 1983, The Blazing Saddle is the oldest gay bar in Des Moines. They offer Happy Hour every day and Trivia Night every Tuesday. They hold monthly charity events for non-profits and various types of Drag Shows Wednesdays through Sundays.
- The Rail SD: The Rail SD hosts various events and is known for its vibrant atmosphere.
- Gayley's Cafe: While not a bar, Gayley's Cafe offers a social environment where you can enjoy games like poker and other social activities.
- Fusex Social Club: Fusex Social Club is an elite members-only club that offers top-notch sex-positive events, providing exhilarating and culturally enriched programs, and offering a safe and pleasant ambiance for personal exploration.
- Cathedral Station: Cathedral Station is a Gay Sports Bar and Neighborhood Pub that welcomes everyone. It provides a bar area, dining area, outdoor patio area, and free parking in the back.
- Sheraton Sioux Falls & Convention Center (Gay-friendly): This hotel is connected to the Sioux Falls Convention Center and offers a variety of amenities including a fitness center, indoor pool, and an on-site restaurant. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with modern decor and furnishings. Check Availability and Prices.
- Staybridge Suites Sioux Falls at Empire Mall, an IHG Hotel (Gay-friendly): This hotel offers spacious suites with full kitchens and separate living areas. It's located near the Empire Mall and a variety of local attractions. Check Availability and Prices.
- Hampton Inn Sioux Falls (Gay-friendly): This hotel offers comfortable rooms and a variety of amenities including a fitness center, indoor pool, and a complimentary breakfast. It's conveniently located near the Sioux Falls Regional Airport. Check Availability and Prices.