Leicester Pride is an annual event that celebrates the lgbtq+Q+ community in the city of Leicester, located in the East Midlands of England. The event typically takes place in the summer, with a parade and a variety of entertainment and activities throughout the day.
The first Leicester Pride event took place in 2001, and it has since grown to become one of the largest Pride events in the UK outside of London, attracting thousands of visitors each year. The event is organized by Leicester lgbtq+ Centre, a local charity that provides support and advocacy for the lgbtq+Q+ community in the city.
In addition to the parade, which typically features colorful floats and marchers in vibrant costumes, Leicester Pride also features live music, drag performances, speeches from community leaders, food and drink vendors, and a market selling merchandise and goods from local businesses and community organizations.
Leicester Pride is an important event for the lgbtq+Q+ community in Leicester, as well as a celebration of diversity and inclusion for the wider community. It provides an opportunity for people to come together and show their support for lgbtq+Q+ rights, while also raising awareness of the issues that affect the community.
There is a variety of food and drink available and plenty to see and buy in the market stalls area. A selection of fair ground rides and games are also provided by Billy Bates & Sons fun fair.
The event is attended by more 10,000 people each year with more than 2,000 taking part in the parade through the city.
The event has been running under the current team for 11 years and has grown from a small event based in the city to a full scale festival at Victoria Park.
Stay updated with events in United Kingdom
Upcoming Mega Events Nearby
Here are 8 recommendations and tips for a gay traveler attending Leicester Pride:
- Plan ahead: Make sure to plan your trip in advance, including your accommodation, transportation, and Pride events you want to attend. Leicester Pride usually takes place in August, so plan accordingly.
- Book your accommodation early: Accommodation in Leicester can fill up fast during Pride, so it's important to book your accommodation early to ensure you have a place to stay. Consider staying in the city center to be close to the Pride events.
- Pack for the weather: The weather in Leicester can be unpredictable, so make sure to pack for all possibilities. Bring comfortable shoes and clothes for walking and standing, as you'll likely be on your feet a lot during the Pride events.
- Research the local lgbtq+Q+ scene: Take some time to research the local lgbtq+Q+ scene in Leicester before you go. This will give you an idea of the types of events and activities you might want to attend, as well as the bars and clubs you might want to check out.
- Stay safe: As with any travel, it's important to stay safe while attending Leicester Pride. Stick to well-lit areas, travel with friends, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Respect local customs and traditions: Leicester has a rich cultural heritage, and it's important to respect local customs and traditions while you're there. Be mindful of any cultural events or practices that may be taking place during your visit.
- Try the local food: Leicester is known for its delicious Indian cuisine, so make sure to try some while you're there. There are also plenty of other great restaurants and cafes in the city center.
- Have fun!: Leicester Pride is all about celebrating diversity and inclusion, so make sure to have fun and enjoy yourself while you're there. Whether you're attending a parade, party, or concert, take in the atmosphere and celebrate with your fellow lgbtq+Q+ travelers and allies.