Thessaloniki Gay Pride is an annual event that takes place in the city of Thessaloniki, Greece. The event is a celebration of the lgbtq+Q+ community and aims to promote awareness and acceptance of diversity.
The first Thessaloniki Gay Pride was held in 2002, and since then, it has grown to become one of the largest pride events in Greece, attracting people from all over the country and beyond. The event typically takes place in June, which is lgbtq+Q+ Pride Month worldwide.
The Thessaloniki Gay Pride parade is the highlight of the event and usually takes place on a Saturday afternoon. The parade route starts at the White Tower, a prominent landmark in the city, and winds its way through the streets of Thessaloniki, ending in the Aristotle Square.
During the parade, participants march through the streets, waving rainbow flags, holding up signs and chanting slogans in support of lgbtq+Q+ rights. The atmosphere is festive and celebratory, with music and dancing adding to the festive mood.
The relevant and inspiring Thessaloniki Pride aims to turn a new page for the Pride movement in this region, and reinforce sentiments of freedom and hope for the local lgbtq+Q community. The organizing committee of Thessaloniki Pride hopes this momentous event will be a turning point for Greece and neighboring countries concerning the lives of thousands' of local lgbtq+Q people. With this intention in mind, the committee is striving to deliver a Pride which will be safe, political, and of course festive!
Stay updated with events in Greece
Here are 10 suggestions that I think might be useful:
- Book your accommodation in advance to avoid last-minute rush. The city gets quite busy during the pride festival, so it's always better to plan ahead.
- Check out the official Thessaloniki Gay Pride website to stay up to date with the latest information about events, dates, and venues. You can also find information on the official Facebook page.
- Join the Pride Parade, which is the main event of the festival. It usually starts at around 5 pm from the Thessaloniki Waterfront and ends at the White Tower.
- Attend the opening ceremony, which takes place a few days before the parade. It's a great opportunity to meet fellow travelers and locals and get a feel for the atmosphere of the festival.
- Attend the closing ceremmony, which is usually held on the last day of the festival. It's a great opportunity to say goodbye to new friends and celebrate the success of the festival.
- Visit some of the local lgbtq+Q+ bars and clubs, which are usualy quite lively during the festival. Some popular options include S-cape, Habana, and Myrovolos.
- Take a walking tour of the city to get a feel for the local culture and history. Thessaloniki has a rich history and there are many interesting sites to see.
- Try some local food, such as gyros, souvlaki, and feta cheese. Thessaloniki is famous for its delicious cuisine, so be sure to indulge!
- Check out some of the local art galleries and museums. Thessaloniki has a thriving art scene and there are many interesting exhibitions to see.
- Finally, remember to be respectful of local customs and culture. While Thessaloniki is a relatively liberal and accepting city, it's important to be mindful of local norms and traditions.
Gay-friendly hotels in Thessaloniki:
- The Elysium Boutique Hotel:
The Elysium Boutique Hotel is a stylish and contemporary gay-friendly hotel located in the heart of Thessaloniki. This hotel boasts elegantly decorated rooms equipped with modern amenities, such as air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi. Guests can enjoy a rich breakfast buffet in the morning and unwind at the on-site bar in the evening. The hotel is within walking distance of popular attractions like the White Tower and Aristotelous Square.
Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/elysium-boutique.en-gb.html?aid=1319615
- The Colors Urban Hotel:
The Colors Urban Hotel is another excellent gay-friendly option in Thessaloniki. This boutique hotel features uniquely designed rooms with vibrant colors and modern furnishings. Each room offers a comfortable stay with amenities like air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi. The hotel also has a trendy bar and a terrace where you can relax and socialize with fellow guests. Located close to the city center, you'll find it easy to explore nearby attractions, such as the Arch of Galerius and Rotunda.
Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/colors-urban.en-gb.html?aid=1319615