Winston-Salem Pride is an annual event that celebrates and supports the lgbtq+Q+ community in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and the surrounding areas. The event typically takes place in October and includes a variety of activities and events, such as a parade, live music, food and drink vendors, and educational booths and activities.
Winston-Salem Pride is organized by a nonprofit organization called Pride Winston-Salem, which was founded in 2017. The organization's mission is to promote lgbtq+Q+ awareness, equality, and acceptance in the Winston-Salem area and to support lgbtq+Q+ individuals and their families.
In addition to the annual Pride event, Pride Winston-Salem also hosts a variety of other events throughout the year, such as social events, educational workshops, and fundraisers. The organization also provides resources and support to lgbtq+Q+ individuals and their families, including a directory of lgbtq+Q+ friendly businesses and organizations in the Winston-Salem area.
Stay updated with events in Winston-Salem, NC
Here are 8 tips and recommendations for a gay traveler attending Winston-Salem Pride:
- Plan your accommodations in advance: Winston-Salem is a smaller city and accommodations can fill up quickly during Pride. Be sure to book your hotel or Airbnb well in advance to ensure you have a place to stay.
- Dress comfortably: Pride events can be long and involve a lot of walking and standing, so be sure to dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes.
- Stay hydrated: It can get hot during the day, so be sure to drink plenty of water and bring a refillable water bottle with you to avoid dehydration.
- Bring sunscreen: If you plan on spending time outdoors during Pride, don't forget to bring sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Check out the parade: The Winston-Salem Pride Parade is one of the highlights of the event, so make sure you catch it. The parade typically takes place on the first day of Pride.
- Explore downtown Winston-Salem: The downtown area of Winston-Salem is home to many lgbtq+Q-friendly bars, restaurants, and shops. Take some time to explore the area and support local businesses.
- Be respectful: Remember that Pride is a celebration of lgbtq+Q+ identity and culture, so be respectful of the community and its members. Be mindful of your behavior and language, and treat everyone with kindness and respect.
- Have fun: Pride is a time to celebrate and have fun, so let loose and enjoy yourself. Meet new people, make friends, and celebrate the lgbtq+Q+ community in Winston-Salem!