FRESH MEAT FESTIVAL of transgender and queer performance is an annual, multidisciplinary performance festival held the third week of June at San Francisco’s Z Space Theater.
The FRESH MEAT FESTIVAL centers transgender, gender-nonconforming and queer BIPOC artists, and lifts up our performing artists as truthtellers who light and lead the way to our collective liberation, healing and JOY.
The FRESH MEAT FESTIVAL features the Bay Area’s and the nation’s leading trans, gender-nonconforming and queer dance, theater, music and multi-disciplinary performance artists.
The FRESH MEAT FESTIVA presents artists performing new work in an enormous variety of forms: bachata, ballroom, bomba, opera, hula, modern dance, hip hop, solo performance, mixed abilities dance, theater, voguing, opera, Blues, R&B, gospel, Americana, folk, rock opera, choirs, electronic music, acapella, humor, spoken word and poetry, Afro-Colombian dance, aerial dance / trapeze and more.
The FRESH MEAT FESTIVAL is celebrated for its exquisite artistry, innovation and performances that are deeply moving, relevant, innovative, articulate and fresh. Audiences love our pre- and post-performance lobby parties, featuring live DJs, FRESH MEAT FEST photo booth, drinks and dancing.
The FRESH MEAT FESTIVAL features ASL interpretation. Z Space is wheelchair accessible and has all-gender restrooms. ID is not required to purchase tickets. Tickets are sold on a sliding scale, and no one is turned away for lack of funds.
Advance tickets are recommended, as these performances sell out quickly.
Stay updated with events in San Francisco, CA
Upcoming Mega Events Nearby
Here are 10 recommendations and tips for a gay traveler visiting San Francisco during Pride:
- Plan ahead: San Francisco Pride is one of the largest lgbtq+Q+ events in the world, so it's important to plan ahead to make the most of your trip. Book your accommodations well in advance, and consider buying tickets for any events you want to attend early to avoid long lines.
- Explore the Castro: The Castro district is known as the heart of San Francisco's lgbtq+Q+ community, and it's a must-visit destination during Pride. Take a walk down Castro Street to see the colorful rainbow crosswalks, and check out the shops, restaurants, and bars in the area.
- Attend the parade: The San Francisco Pride Parade is one of the highlights of the event, and it's not to be missed. The parade takes place on the Sunday of Pride weekend and features floats, perfurmers, and thousands of participants.
- Attend the festival: The Pride festival takes place in Civic Center Plaza and features live music, vendors, and food trucks. It's a great place to meet other lgbtq+Q+ people and celebrate Pride in a fun and festive environment.
- Check out the nightlife: San Francisco is known for its vibrant lgbtq+Q+ nightlife scene, and there are plenty of bars and clubs to explore during Pride. Some popolar options include The Stud, The EndUp, and Oasis.
- Get involved in community events: In addition to the official Pride events, there are also plenty of community events happening throughout the city during Pride. Check out local lgbtq+Q+ organizations to see what's happening and get involved.
- Visit the GLBT Historical Society Museum: The GLBT Historical Society Museum is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in lgbtq+Q+ history. The museum features exhibits and archives chronicling the struggles and triumphs of the lgbtq+Q+ community over the years.
- Take a ferry to Alcatraz Island: While it's not specifically a lgbtq+Q+ destination, a trip to Alcatraz Island is a great way to experience San Francisco's history and natural beauty. Take a ferry from Pier 33 to explore the island and learn about its fascinating past.
- Visit the Golden Gate Park: The Golden Gate Park is one of San Francisco's most iconic landmarks, and it's a great place to spend a day exploring. Take a walk through the park's gardens, visit the de Young Museum, or take a boat ride on Stow Lake.
- Be yourself and have fun!: Finally, remember that Pride is all about celebrating who you are and having a good time. Don't be afraid to let loose, make new friends, and enjoy all that San Francisco has to offer during Pride!
Men-only and gay-friendly hotels to choose from. Here are a few popular options:
- The Parker Guest House Located in the Castro District, The Parker Guest House is a beautiful, gay-friendly bed & breakfast. The historic Edwardian building features elegantly furnished rooms and landscaped gardens, making it an ideal retreat for relaxation. Guests can also enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast, wine socials, and free Wi-Fi. Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/parker-guest-house-san-francisco.html?aid=1319615
- Beck's Motor Lodge This iconic gay-friendly hotel is situated in the heart of the Castro District. Beck's Motor Lodge offers a modern, boutique experience with updated rooms and amenities. The hotel features a sun deck, free Wi-Fi, and complimentary parking. Its prime location makes it perfect for exploring the city's nightlife, shops, and restaurants. Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/beck-s-motor-lodge.html?aid=1319615
- Hotel Diva Hotel Diva is a stylish and gay-friendly hotel located in Union Square. This chic hotel offers unique room designs, custom-designed furnishings, and contemporary art. The hotel's amenities include a fitness center, a business center, and free Wi-Fi. Union Square's shopping and dining options are just steps away from the hotel. Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/diva.html?aid=1319615
- The Inn on Folsom This adults-only, gay-friendly boutique hotel is located in the SoMa neighborhood. The Inn on Folsom offers a modern urban experience with industrial-chic design and comfortable rooms. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar and lounge, as well as complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi. Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/the-inn-on-folsom.html?aid=1319615
- The Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer The Mystic Hotel is a gay-friendly boutique hotel nestled in the bustling Union Square neighborhood. The hotel offers a unique blend of old-world charm and modern luxury, featuring custom-designed rooms, a speakeasy-style bar, and an acclaimed restaurant. Guests can enjoy amenities such as a 24-hour fitness center, concierge service, and free Wi-Fi. Check Availability and Prices: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/the-mystic.html?aid=1319615